Horse meat is consumed in many countries of the world. While some countries see the horse as a companion of the human being, some countries still consider it a food. In countries such as Holland, Japan, Kazakhstan or Tonga, horse meat is a common food. In some others it is considered a delicacy. Today we will tell you a little more about horse meat and how the meat of sick horses has been put on sale at a discount to the rest of Europe to do business with the lives of these animals and human beings.
Horse meat must go through the same rigorous health controls as beef. However, because of its high cost there are unscrupulous people who seek any way to make a profit, sacrificing the health of human beings.
The largest exporters of horse meat in 2020 were Spain, Belgium, and Argentina. In these countries the status of consumption is diverse as we will see below:
- In the case of Spain, the country is little consumer of horse meat.
- Belgium is a large producer, exporter, and consumer of horse meat, despite being a small country.
- For its part, Argentina is one of the largest producers for export and yet domestic consumption is quite small.
But the undisputed largest producer of horse meat is China, a country that produces it for its own consumption fundamentally.
The controversy in relation to horse meat, its cost, and the sale of meat from sick horses from Spain at a discount.
The production and sale of horse meat is so controversial that in many countries its consumption is minimal, but they are large exporters because of the high value of their meat. Perhaps in the controversy of its consumption and the treatment of horses we find the answer to the high value of this meat.
This has led to phenomena such as the sale of meat from sick horses. This has been a way to satisfy this demand for high value, in a more economical way, but with great risks for human beings.
The sale of meat of sick horses is illegal and it’s considered a scam and a public health risk. These horses sold are horses with tumors and bacteria dangerous to humans. In addition, sick horses in these clandestine facilities are mistreated. Consumers are deceived by offering “high-value” meat that is worthless, because it could not be sold under those conditions.
In that step horses that should be slaughtered to avoid suffering and risk to people, become a “contaminated commodity”. Unscrupulous people who buy and resell sick horses with huge profits are enriched.
On the other hand, distributors and restaurants that buy at a discount and then sell “exquisite dishes” with tumors and bacteria.
But let’s know the list of crimes that this implies.
Crimes involving the sale of meat from sick horses from Spain at a discount to the rest of Europe
The sale of meat from sick horses does not only occur in Spain. Other countries such as Iceland, Argentina and Uruguay have been splashed by these scandals. The list of crimes is almost endless, but let’s do a review:
- Scam: They present a food as high value when it is a food not suitable for people.
- Usury: Great profits at the expense of ignorant consumers.
- Public health risks: The use of horses with tumors and bacteria dangerous to humans could trigger a public health crisis. Let’s remember the coronavirus.
- Violations of animal rights: In clandestine facilities, these animals are mistreated and kept in unsanitary and dangerous conditions before being taken to slaughterhouses.
- Falsification of sanitary and public records: Slaughterhouse records are falsified to sell them as healthy horses. In other cases, it is sold instead of beef where horse meat has no acceptance.
Undoubtedly, the sale of meat from sick horses from Spain at a discount in Europe has caused a scandal. This has not only affected Spain, but other countries where the measures to avoid this are not very rigorous.
This type of practice harms consumers, horses, and the horse meat market itself. Consumers who doubt the origin of meat and its true value will decrease their consumption, and that is why the market in recent years is falling.
A cruel, ruthless, and heartless business
A high-value market marked by doubts and ethical dilemmas is really destined to fail. Additionally, horses have been companions of man for many years and have helped his evolution as a civilization.
Other cruel businesses such as “Blood Farms” for the exploitation of mares to produce hormones for the production of pork, also besiege horses.
We consider that the horse does not deserve cruel treatment after so much he has given. A cruel, illegal, harmful, and dangerous business for people that should be reconsidered.