The 2020 Dubai World Expo is the latest Universal Exposition in the International Registered Exhibition category. This type of exhibition is held every 5 years and it aims to show the innovation of the countries. Originally planned to take place in 2020, due to the coronavirus it had to be postponed and is currently being held from the first of October 2021 to March 31, 2022. However, it kept its name of Expo 2020 Dubai UAE.
Expo 2020 Dubai theme is “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future”. The exhibition is mainly focused on sustainable development. The main themes of the expo are sustainability, mobility and opportunities.
Each country shows the best of itself. In addition, there are pavilions dedicated to sponsors and special pavilions for companies dedicated to some of the themes of the expo.
Below, you’ll find out everything you need to know about the 2020 Dubai World Expo and a little more. Start.
Who is organizing the 2020 Dubai World Expo?
Universal exhibitions are events that take place every 5 years, under the auspices of the Bureau International des Expositions, also known as the “International Bureau of Expositions”.
The International Bureau of Expositions is an intergovernmental organization based in Paris. This institution updates and guarantees the application of the “Convention Relating to International Exhibitions”. This institution was born as part of the League of Nations that would later become the UN. At the time of that transformation, the International Bureau of Expositions became an autonomous entity.
What does the International Bureau of Expositions do? The office takes care of events that meet the following characteristics:
- Events that are International exhibitions.
- Duration greater than 3 weeks and less than 6 months.
- Officially organized by a state.
- Events whose invitations are sent and / or delivered through diplomatic channels.
- International exhibitions that were of non-commercial nature.
Their career through the organization of more than forty international exhibitions, make them a creditor of great prestige. Currently, 153 nations are affiliated with this office.
The 2020 Dubai World Expo is jointly organised by the International Bureau of Expositions, the Government of Dubai, and the Government of the United Arab Emirates. This is the first international exhibition to be held in the region called MENA-SA. The MENA-SA region is composed of the Middle East, South Asia, and North Africa.
Official Premier Partners of the Expo 2020 Dubai, World Expo.
Each exhibition requires partners who logistically and publicly support the event. The Expo 2020 Dubai, World Expo, has had partners of the highest level which has given it an excellent performance. Among the companies considered Honorary Official Partners are the following:
- Accenture: Technology-based consulting company focused on the digital transformation of its clients. The company was responsible for creating an innovative digital experience to show visitors the impact of technology. It aims to show how technology can have a positive influence on the way we live and feel.
- Cisco: Cisco is a global company whose main line of business is the design, sale, manufacture, maintenance, and consulting of telecommunications systems. It was the company responsible for the connectivity of Expo 2020 Dubai. Their work focused on achieving quality connectivity, simple to use and that guaranteed security.
- DP World: Dubai Ports World is the fourth largest shipping operator in the world and is an enabler of international trade. It has a presence for the management of maritime trade in 6 continents and 45 countries of the world. He was responsible for supply chain management at Expo 2020 Dubai. In this way it guaranteed the transport of everything necessary for the installation of the 196 pavilions.
- Emirates NBD (Emirates National Bank of Dubai): It is the first national bank in Dubai and is owned by the Government of Dubai. This group has operations in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, China, the United Kingdom, Indonesia, India, Egypt and Singapore. This partner oversaw presenting innovations in digital banking, artificial intelligence technologies in banking through its experience called “Banking of the Future”.
Other Premier Partners of Expo 2020 Dubai.
- Etisalat (Emirates Telecommunication Group Company PJSC): It is a multinational telecommunications provider. It currently has operations in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Egypt, Ivory Coast, Pakistan, among others. In total it has a presence in 16 countries in the Middle East and Africa. Thanks to Etisalat, Expo 2020 Dubai will be the first commercial 5G technology customer in the Middle East and Africa. Thanks to them, visitors will have at their disposal the most advanced technology in the world.
- Emirates: It is one of the largest airlines in the world and the largest in the Middle East. It is in the top 10 of the world’s airlines. Its headquarters are located at Dubai International Airport. It connects 133 cities located in 74 countries. Emirates is the main sponsor of Expo 2020 Dubai and its official airline.
- G42 (Group 42): It is the largest artificial intelligence and cloud computing company in the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region. It encompasses the use of cloud computing and artificial intelligence in the government, healthcare, finance, oil and gas, aviation, and hospitality sectors.
- Terminus: A Chinese company dedicated to combining artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things. Terminus will make available robots to visitors that use AIoT (A.I. + IoT – Artificial Intelligence + Internet of Things). In addition, you will have an AI City or artificial intelligence city as an experience to see what the future holds.
Other well-known Premier Partners
- Master Card: It will have its own pavilion and will show the means of payment of the future.
- Nissan: The famous automotive company will present an experience on the future of mobility, new generation cars and autonomous driving. All this summarized in his Nissan Intelligent Mobility. It will also provide a fleet of cars for the exhibition.
- Pepsico: With its own pavilion, Pepsico will showcase sustainable food, beverage and snack business practices. From packaging to water management, agriculture and nutrition. Pepsico wants to show a fun and sustainable future equally to visitors.
- SAP: Thanks to its innovative solution and data management, SAP will use visitor information to support the personalized experiences of its millions of visitors.
- Siemens: With its Internet of Things and connectivity technologies, it will deliver a unique experience. Siemens will help equip more than 130 Expo buildings with cutting-edge technology to showcase the future of smart cities. With all this, the so-called 2020 district will be formed, a smart district that will show the legacy of the expo to the world.
Some interesting pavilions of the Expo
Apart from what the honorary members have to offer there are many interesting pavilions. These pavilions capture the essence of the nations and institutions they represent. Next, we will talk about some of the most interesting pavilions.
Venezuela Pavilion at Expo Dubai 2020
The Venezuelan pavilion, rather than focusing on the country’s innovation element, is closer to a national tourism fair. In it you can taste the typical Venezuelan dishes.
In addition, you can make a tasting of drinks that represent Venezuela and its productive history, such as coffee and chocolate. Both products were important agricultural products in colonial times. Currently they are products that have a high level of quality, recognized worldwide.
Other experiences designed for visitors allow the visitor to take a photo “on the angel falls”. In the Venezuela pavilion you can also get to know the Orinoco River in an immersive 360° experience.
The Venezuelan pavilion is in the Jubilee area. This pavilion was designed by the Dubai group of architects, Wanders Werner Falasi, awarded for the design of residential homes. Its design is inspired by the work of Carlos Cruz-Diez, master of kinetic art. there you can “visit” the geographical and cultural regions in which Venezuela is divided.
It was certainly a pleasant experience for Gustavo Mirabal. Gustavo Mirabal with his family could see a corner of Venezuela in the pavilion of his country in Dubai. There he was able to tell his children and his wife about the adventures of touring Venezuela. These adventures are collected in the series of articles “Gustavo Mirabal in Venezuela“.
US Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai
With the motto “Life, Liberty and Search for the Future”, the United States pavilion reflects its innovation without neglecting its principles. The first thing that greets you is a set of flags of the United States waving free in the wind. At all times the reflection of freedom that architecture transmits is present.
The U.S. Pavilion seeks to celebrate freedom, diversity, and innovation. The walk begins by presenting the torch of the Statue of Liberty as a symbol of one of america’s most important values.
As a sign of cultural diversity, a copy of the Qur’an translated into English is presented. This copy was owned by Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson was one of the founders of the United States. In addition to drafting the declaration of independence and was one of the first presidents of the nation. It is the first time that this copy of the Qur’an has been exhibited in public outside the country. It is a sign of the Deep Respect of the North American Country for religious freedom.
Innovation in the USA Pavilion at Dubai Expo
In the pavilion you can also see an exhibition of the innovations of this country that have changed the way we see the world. One of the most modern parts is a multimedia exhibit that reflects the importance of space exploration and quantum computing.
Visitors will be able to see a sample of a moon rock and a Martian meteorite. In the courtyard you can see a replica of the Falcon 9 rocket of the spaceX company.
Finally, visitors will be able to enjoy music and typical American food for their enjoyment at Expo 2020 Dubai. Without a doubt, the U.S. pavilion at the 2020 Dubai University Expo reflects america’s innovation and the best of the U.S. without neglecting its values.
Spanish Pavilion at the Dubai World Expo 2020
One of the pavilions that immediately captured gustavo Mirabal’s attention was the Spanish pavilion. It is one of the pavilions that combines in an exceptional way aesthetics, functionality, and innovation at the same time. This is due to the choice of a pavilion that by its design is kept air-conditioned with a low use of energy. For this reason, the Spanish pavilion is located in the sustainability district. Its sensitivity to energy consumption minimizes its environmental impact while delighting with a wonderful view and thermal comfort.
The motto of the Spanish pavilion is “Intelligence for Life”. This pavilion is an example of the intelligent use of creativity by uniting various disciplines with a functional and sustainable purpose. It unites technology, education, science and art to achieve more human spaces, for today and for the future.
The project was developed by the renowned studio “Temperaturas Extremas Arquitectos S.L.P.” of the architects Amann-Cannovas-Maruri. The design at the same time functional to moderate the temperatures. This design uses colors and shapes that also highlight the Spanish connection with Arab culture. It not only focuses on innovation, but also addresses other elements such as cultural diversity.
The Spanish pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai is full of facts and curiosities that culturally connect these two countries. One of the most interesting is that at least 4000 words of the Spanish language have Arabic origin. Undoubtedly a huge cultural connection between both nations.
Activities that you can enjoy in the Spanish pavilion at the Expo.
In addition to enjoying the functional and aesthetic architecture, which represents the best of the Spanish people, visitors can enjoy a series of activities among which are:
- Artistic installation that seeks to connect Spanish and Arab influences in a single set.
- A play showing the history of Spanish-Arab cooperation through time.
- An exhibition gallery that inversively displays the 2030 targets of the Sustainable Development Agenda.
- You can enjoy the best of Spanish cuisine.
- In addition, Spanish values are shown enhancing creativity, solidarity and innovation
- On November 29, 2021, the final of the world school chess tournament could be enjoyed there. The final phase with 12 participating teams was held between November 25 and 29. The winning team was the Indian team Velammal Nexus. Without a doubt a spectacle for lovers of this sport.
- Flamenco events were presented. This shows the power of Spanish culture.
- A multitude of Spanish innovations were presented, including a puncture-free glucose meter. Without a doubt, Spanish creativity is at the forefront.
- “Spain, a country to live” is an installation that shows visitors why Spain is one of the countries with the highest quality of life.
- The film “Luna de Agosto” by filmmaker Nacho Vigalondo is also constantly presented in the theater. It tells the story of an unusual phenomenon in which the sun rises at midnight. A production that shows the vitality and imagination of the Spanish people.
Dubai Pavilion at dubai World Expo 2020
The Dubai Pavilion is one of the most impressive of the 2020 Dubai World’s Fair. Both in dimensions and creativity, this pavilion stands out. Undoubtedly, the host country gave everything to be able to have one of the best pavilions of Expo 2020 Dubai.
The architect in charge of the United Arab Emirates pavilion was Santiago Calatrava. Santiago Calatrava is a Spanish civil engineer who is also an architect and sculptor. Among the awards that this Spanish architect has won are:
- Won the European Architecture Prize in 2015
- Received the Prince of Asturias Award
- National Architecture Award in Spain.
- The National Civil Engineering Award, also in Spain.
No doubt with these credentials the success of the UAE pavilion was assured. The selection of a Spanish architect is also a sign of the deep connection between the Arab people and Spain.
This design of the pavilion was inspired by the falcon, the national bird of the Emirates. The shape of the pavilion evokes the shape of the wings of this fabulous bird. In addition, its sustainable design includes:
- Photovoltaic panels to supply the energy required by the pavilion.
- Incorporate a skylight on the roof of the pavilion to take advantage of natural light in the best way.
Santiago Calatrava’s design for the UAE pavilion integrates aesthetics, functionality, and sustainability. Without a doubt, there are 15,000 square meters full of multisensory and immersive experiences whose design honors the theme of Expo 2020 Dubai “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future”.
An opportunity to look at the world.
This exhibition is an opportunity to look at the innovation of each country and the way they relate to it. The opportunity to relate to the diversity of cultures opens our minds to the future.
The theme of Expo 2020 Dubai, “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future”, remains in force. Looking at diversity is a way to “Connect Minds” and through innovation we are “Creating Future”, a sustainable future for it to truly exist.
This Expo 2020 Dubai was a great opportunity for ideas. Gustavo Mirabal enjoyed the opportunity to tour again the pavilions of those countries he has visited, that he admires and with which he works hard so that his clients have the best financial advice.
Without a doubt, the 2020 Dubai World Expo is an experience for a lifetime. Visit it before it runs out.