The oral health of animals is as important as that of human beings. Except that horses can not brush their teeth and do dental cleaning rituals as a habit. So you have to resort to expert professionals in the field. These experts periodical reviews of the animal’s teeth. In the case of the horse they only check their teeth, but they do the cleaning. In case of any condition in the mouth, the professional will indicate the necessary medication for recovery.
Equine dentistry is the practice of dentistry in horses. Equine dentistry involve the study, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity. In some jurisdictions, the practice of equine dentistry may be restricted only to specialists, whereas in others it is not controlled.
For a horse, its mouth, is the beginning of a long, complex and delicate digestive system, as well as its fundamental “wheel” at the time of being mounted. In addition, their teeth are their “hands” with which to defend themselves and “catch something” among others.This, together with the continuous growth and wear of the teeth, makes periodic inspection of the mouth by a specialist veterinarian indispensable.
For this reason we will address everything related to equine dentistry.
The purpose of Equine Dentistry
Today, riders and breeders begin to show greater concern for the dental health of their horses. So, Equine Dentistry resurges with the strength it deserves. Today, you can talk about the dentist as one of the key professionals in the care of the horse.
Equine dentistry is going through a process of rediscovery. Equine dentistry was practiced as long ago as 600 BCE in China, and has long been important as a method of assessing the age of a horse. It is not a new science, there are bibliographies and instruments of work quite advanced at the beginning of the 20th century. At that time, the horse was a key element in the life of man: motor at work and usual means of travel.
Equine dentistry in horses under 5 years old.
Like humans, horses between 2 and a half years and 5 years after the change of the “milk” dentition by the permanent one should be reviewed every 4 and 6 months. In this period they should be checked more frequently, especially in the case of racehorses. Some of the functions of equine dentistry in horses under 5 years are:
- Liminate the premolars and molars adequately depending on the horse: age, use, specific alterations … in the cases that are necessary.
- To control the eruption of milk teeth and its subsequent replacement by permanent ones in the case of the incisors and premolars performing the appropriate treatment in the event that alterations occur in this process (very frequent). If not treated at this time, they may lead to serious alterations.
- Control the eruption of the molars, as well as the fangs in the case of the males (and the females that can present them).
- In the event that specific alterations occur, perform the appropriate treatment.
Equine dentistry in horses over 5 years old.
- The revision of the mouth should be made between 6 and 12 months depending on:
- -Age: the younger the growth rate is higher and the formation of the tips will be faster. In addition, those for sports use should be checked frequently.
Equine dentistry in geriatric horses:
In these animals the speed of eruption is less, but the alterations may be in a more advanced state. Older horses, whether they ride or not, they should be checked once a year. In this age the loss of teeth and the presence of periodontal disease are frequent.
If you want to know more about Gustavo Mirabal or Equestrian Word, go to: