The origin of horse film is linked to the very origin of cinema. But even since its very origin, it keeps its presence in force. This is how with the advent of streaming services the horse has also become present. Netflix is the leading streaming platform, with 208 million subscribers worldwide. So, if we didn’t talk about the horse in the Netflix series any article about movies and horse series would be incomplete.
Today we will know how cinema was born and how its birth is inextricably linked to the horse. No doubt the horse and the cinema have ridden together throughout their history and both remain in force.
In addition, cinema has had times where its film production has been centered around the horse. Let us remember the time when westerns dominated the so-called seventh art. A golden age for cinema and also for some actors. At that time legends such as John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen and Clint Eastwood were born. Without a doubt a golden age for acting in Hollywood and many of these actors transcended this genre. We’ll learn a little bit more about the actors who brought the genre to life as well.
Horse movies and series are Gustavo Mirabal Castro’s favorite movies. That is why talking about the horse in Netflix series is a way to pay tribute to horses and their validity in the audiovisual arts.
Then this trip will take us to know the horse and horse movies in the Netflix series. This will be a trip on horseback… Prepare yourself
Table of Contents.
The origin of cinema
The origin of the cinema is in the capture of static images. That’s why he shares much of his story with photography. Although the Lumiére brothers were their inventors there were many previous contributions that concluded with cinema as we know it.
That is why we will go back to 1878 and to Eadweard Muybridge. An English photographer whose main works were done in the USA.
There was doubt at the time whether the horse took off at the same time its four legs from the ground as it ran. A wealthy enthusiast offered twenty-five thousand dollars to anyone who could solve the mystery with evidence.
Muybridge researched to make a camera and a film that quickly captured the movement. He then placed 24 cameras synchronized one after the other to capture different moments of the horse’s movement.
In this way Eadweard Muybridge managed to immortalize the movement of the horse and by playing the sequence we had the first animation of real images. This was the forerunner of the moving image and finally of cinema.
The Origin of Netflix
Netflix’s story is one of many stories of paradigm breakage. During the boom of e-commerce companies and “dot coms” an idea emerged that broke with the established paradigms. Thinking about a subscription content delivery model sounded surreal, but that’s what its creator Reed Hastings set out to do.
No doubt this is the beginning of the horse in the Netflix series and all that fun.
Emergence of the Netflix idea
Netflix started in the nineties when Reed Hastings rented a movie on the well-known Blockbuster network. Blockbuster at that time was the largest video club chain in the United States and with a presence in several countries. It managed to capture a quarter of the global video club market. In these places users rented their favorite movies, either on vhs, DVD and later on Blue-ray.
The Blockbuster network imposed severe fines on users who failed to return rented movies on time. This is what happened to Reed Hastings who received a “generous fine” of $40 for returning a movie late. Thanks to this he came up with the thought of creating a video club that did not impose fines on users. Also, the intention to start an e-commerce business would be coupled with such a situation forming the basis for Netflix.
The beginnings of Netflix and the rejection of Blockbuster
Netflix, in the early years, would become a virtual video club. In this video club customers placed orders online and the movies were dispatched by mail and in the same way were returned to Netflix.
In 2000 Netflix proposed to Blockbuster to buy his business for $50 million and Blockbuster turned it down. Today Netflix is valued at $45 billion. Without a doubt Blockbuster missed the business of a lifetime.
In 2007 Netflix made the leap to offer Video On-Demand via streaming. Today it is the largest streaming platform and offers movies for all tastes, including movies for horse lovers.
We’ve talked about equestrian or horse-related movies before. Among them we can mention The Longest Ride, Mustang or The horse Whisperer. In all of them the horse is an ally and a catalyst for the transformation of the human being.
This is how thanks to this mystical connection between man and horse, the horse in the Netflix series has become very popular.
In particular, Mustang and The Horse Whisperer are films that invite us to conscience. In both man through the knowledge of the horse knows himself. Below we will give a brief overview of the aforementioned films.
An independent film about a penalty reduction work program for U.S. inmates. It follows the story of a tormented man who wishes to remain in the prison system so as not to suffer.
However the work program offered is not common and brings it closer to the taming of wild horses. Thus, the protagonist is reflected in the lockdown of the horse, learning about affections and freedom.
The Horse Whisperer
In this film starring Robert Redford, a girl, a man and a horse heal their physical and spiritual wounds.
A girl and her horse suffer an accident that leaves them very affected. Only through therapy and their work together will they ever be who they were again. To achieve her goal, the girl’s mother is looking for Robert Redford, a very special man.
Robert Redford is what is known as a “horse whisperer.” Through their ability to connect with them it allows them to help them recover after trauma.
The Longest Ride
It’s the story of love between a rodeo rider and a girl whose love is bound by responsibility and the past. Thanks to a history of the past they will get a way to overcome obstacles and their fears. An excellent romantic film that reminds us of traditional values and that there is always an option.
Top 5 horse movies.
Some of these horse movies will be made on Netflix. Here’s the top 5 of all-time equestrian films:
The horse whisperer.
A film that we already mentioned in which Robert Redford plays a man with a very special connection with horses. He is able to heal the psyche of horses, just as he can do with people. An excellent film for horse lovers
This film is based on the book “Seabiscuit: An American Legend”. It tells the story of Seabiscuit, a racehorse that inspired millions in the midst of the Great Depression era. With the likes of Tobey Mc Guire and Jeff Bridges, Seabiscuit is a must-see. Horse lovers will love this movie.
The film tells the story of the American triple crown champion horse, Secretariat. Around this horse gather Penny Chenery a housewife who assumes her breeding due to the illness of her horse and Lucien Laurin, a trainer about to retire. With faith, perseverance and optimism they manage to make Secretariat a champion. Penny Chenery is played by Diane Lane and Lucien Laurin is played by Jhon Malkovich. With a moving story and a dream cast, it’s a film worth watching.
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron.
It is the story of Spirit, a Mustang horse in the fight for his freedom. Spirit is caught and is left in the middle of the fighting between native Americans and the American army. With determination and loyalty he helps Native Americans and achieves the things that matter most to him. An animated film that even adults should watch.
It is about the story of friendship between a horse and a man. Through the vicissitudes of his life and the First World War, their friendship grows. Both overcome numerous challenges until life gives them the opportunity to meet again. It is a story about overcoming and the value of friendship and family.
Genres of movies and horse series on Netflix.
Movies and series tend to be grouped into genres. These genres generally reflect the narrative structure and themes covered. Some more original than others, we can always find reminiscences or combinations of them. Here are the most common genres of horse movies on Netflix (and outside Neflix):
- Western: The traditional cowboy movie. Whether traditional or not so traditional, the old-west cowboy has the narrative structure of good versus evil. The taming of the wild in the face of civilization that must be faced using force. Here the cowboy confronts the Indian, the unknown, the wild and the cowboy who wants power. Here you will find many shots, duels, taverns and horseback riding.
- Period: Period films use the horse as a means of transport and work tool. Without the machinery on fuel, the horse played a very important role in human society. These films remind us of simpler times when we depended on nature.
- Horseback Riding: The most modern films focus on horseback riding and horse racing as an activity of enjoyment. Still many of them focus on sport and the natural and mystical connection with the horse. They are undoubtedly films of self-improvement and growth.
Films and Series of Horses and the genre of the Western. The golden age of horse cinema.
The Western era was one of the golden age of horse cinema. There were also series that fueled this genre.
The most impressive thing is that this is a genre that continues to give something to talk about. That is why today we will talk about the great films of the old west, the series of yesteryear, their actors and the series are giving something to talk about today. Let’s just start.
Western horse movies
The old west movies gave a lot to talk about at the time. It was a very demanded genre and it gave us great actors. One of the most important is Clint Eastwood who continues to direct with force leaving his indelible mark on cinema. Let’s see which are considered the best films of the western genre:
- The Searchers (1956): Starring John Wayne, this Old West drama introduces us to a man who returns from the war to see his family killed by indians. He vows revenge and with his nephew follows them for 5 long years.
- Rio Bravo (1958): a Sheriff goes to face only the bandits, while the people want to help in their fight. But the sheriff chooses to fight only to prevent anyone from getting hurt in the conflict. Another film by the fabulous John Wayne.
- The Magnificent Seven (1960): A sheriff who wishes to fight the bandits gathers the best seven gunmen to help a small town on the border with Mexico. The group will defend with all its energies this small town and its inhabitants. With a great cast consisting of Charles Bronson, Yul Brynner and the great Steve McQueen.
- The Outlaw (1975): A film directed by Clint Eastwood. The story is based on the life of popular Texas hero Bill Wilson, who remained neutral during the Civil War until union soldiers burned his farm.
Western horse series
Below, we mention some of the most important horse series about the Old West:
- The Rifleman: Shows us how a widowed man must face an unforgiving world with his son. It became a classic of the Old West series and a must-have series for fans of the genre.
- The Lone Ranger: This series is named after one of the most famous masked heroes on horseback in the old west. Present in all kinds of media (radio, movies, series, novels, comics and cartoons) has left us a great legacy. The series tells the story of a law enforcement officer who puts on a mask to dispense justice. Together with his silver horse and his faithful Indian friend Toro takes us through the most entertaining adventures. This is one of the first series in which the horse becomes one of the protagonists.
- Bonanza: One of the series that focused on the social and family issues of the old west. One of the longest-running television series with 438 one-hour episodes, it gives us an entertaining and otherwise thoughtful story about the time. The series aired for over 10 years. A widowed father who had to face the difficult life of the old west with his three adult children.
- Zorro: A series of adventures and atypical westerns. While it meets some of the elements of the western it is a fiction halfway between adventures, heroes and westerns. What there is no doubt about is that it is entertaining and with great success. We’ve talked about this series before.
Horse series and movies on Netflix
Netflix has become the must-see for streaming services. In addition to global coverage, it offers a wide variety of programs.
As for tv shows and horse movies on Netflix we have a great variety. From the typical cartoons for the little ones to real-life equestrian dramas.
On Netflix in the equestrian in the form of a wide variety of series and horse movies for your client. Netflix is the great choice for horse lovers that accomplishes you even on the screens of your TVs.
Horses find fans between big and small. That is why we see a wide range of productions for all ages. However, there are many of these series that are not suitable for the little ones in the house. That’s why we’ve worked on a selection of horse series on Netflix suitable for children and another for adults in the house.
Thanks to this selection everyone at home can enjoy watching through our favorite streaming service the best series of horses on Netflix. Start.
Horse Series on Netflix for Kids
- Free Rein: A recent series that is becoming popular very quickly. A teenage city decides to spend the holidays with her mother on a small island and where she discovers a mysterious horse. The two will come very close and discover the spirit of friendship.
- Spirit Riding Free: One of Netflix’s most important horse series. It is a sequel to the most recognized horse films “Spirit: The Indomitable Steed”
- Spirit Riding Free – Riding Academy: Lucky Prescot, Pru Granger and Abigail Stone move to a new riding academy. Together they will have to adapt and overcome many challenges. Maturity and responsibility will be the key to your move into adulthood. They will meet new friends and have to adapt to the new environment. Everyone will discover their talent to be able to know themselves and accept their new home.
- My Little Pony: The Magic of Friendship: An animated series aimed at children. In My Little Pony the characters live numerous adventures while knowing themselves. Through their adventures they will be able to learn about the value of friendship. It is based on Hasbro’s “My Little Pony” toy line. Its protagonist Twilight Sparkle guided by his teacher Celestia will learn about the magic of friendship in Ponyville.
Horse Series on Netflix for Adults
- Heartland: A series that continues to air already has at least 14 seasons. It tells the story of a family that runs a ranch dedicated to healing troubled horses. It is the most successful horse series in the history of traditional television, streaming and Netflix. She tells us about the evolution of a young woman who after losing her mother must take the reins in the family business and replace her. With a great ability to take care of the horses, but still with a long way to go to mature it is a series for the whole family. We will be able to see how each character evolves and finds his place in the world overcoming great losses and finding great friendships for life. This series has a huge following all over the world, especially in Canada, the United States, Brazil and Argentina. Definitely a Netflix horse series to consider..
- Bojack Horseman: A successful TV actor with a disgraced TV show tries to get back to the show. The funny thing about this series is that the protagonist is an anthropomorphic horse. Bojack has to deal with fame, his past, failure and fighting for himself. In a world in which humans and animals coexist must emerge in a environment where the show is everything. It is an adult series to reflect on the world of showbiz and Hollywood.
Beyond the horses of the Netflix series, horse movies.
This streaming service not only has an interesting assortment of series. Although one of its biggest attractions is undoubtedly the series.
Apart from the horse series on Netflix, you can find many horse movies. Some with children’s or more family themes and others with a more adult theme.
Next we will see the movies offered by this streaming service for kids and boys. Because beyond Netflix’s horse series there is life.
Horse MOVIES in Neflix for kids.
- Bibi and Tina: This German production for the whole family will catch you all. He also has several films to his credit on Netflix. Bibi is a witch in her teens and will have to struggle with her impulses. Her friend Tina patiently and lovingly will help her achieve her purposes. Together they will have to fight for the love of Bibi’s life and maintain their teenage life. In the meantime, you’ll also have to deal with a strange man who wants to rob a beautiful colt. On Netflix there are at least 3 more movies that you’re sure to enjoy.
- Albion: the enchanted horse: A girl is transported through a magical world called Albion. At the age of 12, a magical horse has decided that she is the key to saving her world and its inhabitants. Riding this magical horse, this brave girl must defeat the tyrant who rules Albion.
Horse MOVIES on Netflix for Adults
- Life is a Rodeo: One of Netflix’s most interesting horse movies for this season. Life is a rodeo is a biographical film based on amberley Snyder’s experiences. Amberley Snyder is a rodeo sportswoman looking to overcome injuries left by a car accident. Her doctors tell her she won’t walk again, but she won’t settle. She wants to do what she loves again and for that she will have to fight.
- Rock My Heart: A touching story about a girl with a congenital illness that will complicate her life. However she decides to fight and not let the disease define her. At the age of 17, Jana will struggle to become a horse racer. She plans to become an exceptional jockey with the help of her coach Paul Brenner. This German film will excite us all.
- The girl who loved horses: A very special girl with great talents has trouble connecting with others. She loves horses and has a talent for art and craftsmanship. But he also has another very special talent. Talent for solving supernatural crimes. Through a series of lived dreams Sarah finds clues that can help her solve a crime. Or maybe to become the victim. Her strange behavior will lead her to a mental institution where she will be helped by her doctor Ethan. You will regain your sanity or lose it in its entirety. Find out.
- Urban Country: Also known in Latin America as “Empezar de nuevo”, this film tells the story of a young rebel who after an encounter with the law has to start again on a horse-raising farm. There he finds nature, his family and love. A hopeful story for those who have forgotten that you can always start over
Horse series in Neflix, where the horse is not the protagonist
- The Witcher: A sorcerer with a very particular philosophy of life travels to help others without their only measure being money. Your travel companion “sardinilla” is your faithful and jealous mare will be the one who will accompany you on your adventures.
- Anne with an E: A period series updated to today’s social paradigms. Breaking with the period element in the values it reflects. Anne with an E is a series based on some very famous books. The impetuous Anne is an orphan who becomes the heart of the transformation of a small village in rural Canada of yesteryear.
- Outlander: A series that blends historical fiction, mysticism and science fiction. Outlander tells the story of a woman who travels back in time to find love and truth. This is a long-running TV series found on major streaming services. Full of exciting performances and intriguing stories will catch you.
Gustavo Mirabal loves the horse in the Netflix series.
No doubt Gustavo Mirabal loves Netflix movies and horse series. He generally loves all movies and horse series but Netflix has been key to preserving this genre. The horse in the Netflix series is a reminder of our present and our future.
And it’s important because the horse in the cinema reminds us of its role in human life. And it also reminds us of our connection to nature and how similar we can be to horses.
Without a doubt full of experiences to live.